Warrant issued April 9th 1853, Under Grand Lodge of England
The period of history which saw the beginning of St. George’s Lodge No. 42 was a transition time, when Canada was going through the growing pains of becoming a Nation. London was the centre of Military District No. 1, and the regiment billeted here contained Masons who longed to enjoy the fellowship of a Masonic Lodge. In 1852, St. John’s Lodge No. 209 of the Irish Registry was active in London, and from it emerged St. George’s Lodge. The warrant was granted on November 22, 1852 by the Grand Lodge of England, and the Lodge was officially designated St. George’s Lodge No. 895. The first meeting was held in Robinson Hall, at the southeast corner of Dundas and Ridout streets. In December 1852, members of St. George’s Lodge No. 895 in conjunction with St. John’s Lodge 209, conducted the installation of King Solomon’s Lodge at Woodstock. In June 1853, members of St. George’s Lodge went to St. Thomas to conduct the installation of St. Thomas Lodge No. 44. In September 1853, a number of Royal Arch Masons belonging to the Lodge applied for a Royal Arch warrant, the chapter to be attached to St. George’s Lodge with the number 895. In August 1855, a Lodge room was procured on the fourth floor of the Whitehouse Building on the corner of King and Richmond streets at a rent of £30 a year. Also in 1855, a Grand Lodge of Canada was constituted, and in 1856, St. George’s Lodge No. 895 on the English Register was also known as St. George’s Lodge No. 35 on the register of the Grand Lodge of Canada. St. George’s Lodge was also instrumental if forming Kilwinning Lodge No. 64. In 1857, the Lodge officially separated from the Grand Lodge of England and amalgamated with the Grand Lodge of Canada. Another new charter was issued with the number St. George’s Lodge No. 37. When the Grand Lodge of Canada was officially recognized by the Grand Lodge of England in 1859, the Lodges were again renumbered, and St. George’s came to be known as St. George’s Lodge No. 42 of London, Canada West. Also, in this same year, St. George’s Lodge assisted Kilwinning Lodge No. 64 in laying the foundation stone of St. James Presbyterian Church. In 1870, the Lodge secured a room in the new Huron and Erie Saving Society Building for an annual rent of $125. In July 1871, this Lodge laid the foundation stone of charing Cross Hotel.
ST. GEORGE’S LODGE No. 42 A.F. & A.M. G.R.C. 150th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS & SPECIAL EVENTS The celebration of 150 years of Masonry marks a significant milestone in the history of any Lodge. Over the past 150 years, St. George’s Lodge No. 42, its members and families, have played a significant role in the growth and development of the city of London, and surrounding districts, and in the promotion of Masonry in Southwestern Ontario and beyond. The ideals of Freemasonry as taught and practiced by our forefathers has passed the test of time, and continues to thrive and flourish through our current membership to-day. In recognition of the contributions of these Brethren, the 150th Anniversary Committee planned three special events throughout our anniversary year. The first was the conferring of an Irish 3rd Degree under the combined direction of St. John’s Lodge No. 20 & St. John’s Lodge No. 209a. The event was held on May 10th, 2003 at the London Masonic Temple. A total of 200 brethren from the London and surrounding Districts of Southwestern Ontario were in attendance, and were treated to an outstanding performance by the Officers and members of the Degree Teams from the two Irish Lodges. Prior to the close of the meeting, W. Bro. Christopher Skinner of St. John’s Lodge No. 20 and W. Bro. Jeffrey Davidson of St. John’s Lodge No. 209a presented W. Bro. Tom McVey of St. George’s Lodge with a set of Deacons and Steward Wands, (and Carry Case) in honour of the occasion. A luncheon at the Mocha Shrine Centre followed. The origin of St. George’s Lodge dates back to members of the St. John’s Lodge No. 209 I.R. under the Irish Constitution who, in 1853, were instrumental in the formation of St. George’s Lodge No. 895, under the Grand Lodge of England. In 1857, we became St. George’s Lodge No. 37 under the Provincial Grand Lodge, and in 1859 received our present No. 42 under the Grand Lodge of Canada. Today, the Irish Lodges of London East & West Districts, namely, St. John’s Lodge No. 20 & St. John’s Lodge No. 209a respectively, are direct descendants from the original St. John’s Lodge No. 209 I.R. It was therefore fitting that together they form an integral part of our 150th Anniversary celebrations. The second event, held on October 4, 2003 marked the official celebration of our Anniversary, when we were pleased to receive as our Guest of Honour, M.W. Bro. Donald H. Mumby, Grand Master, Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. of Canada in the Province of Ontario. Once again, approximately 200 Brethren consisting of our own Lodge members, numerous Grand Lodge Officers from around the Province, and Brethren from the London and surrounding Districts were in attendance. In addition, we were honoured to have a number of our special ladies present, in recognition of their contributions, as well as their husbands, to the history of our Lodge. The Lodge meeting was followed by a formal luncheon reception for the Brethren and their Ladies at the Mocha Shrine Centre. Finally, as a token of appreciation and recognition of those Brethren who have gone before us, two park benches were purchased by the Lodge to be placed in the “Reading Court” of the “Rotary Reading Garden” at the new London Library. Suitably engraved commemorative plaques mark their significance for visitors to see. The Worshipful Master, Officers and Brethren of St. George’s Lodge No. 42 wish to extend our sincere thanks and appreciation to all those Brethren who supported our 150th Anniversary Events during this past year.