The Tuscan Lodge hold our regular meeting on the first Monday of every month at the Masonic Centre on Dufferin Ave. in London Ontario.
Being a mason is about making good men better. The brethren of The Tuscan 195 accomplish this both in work and play. Over the past few years, we have worked to raise funds and gather donations in support of community organizations like Autism Ontario, SARI Therapeutic Riding and My Sister’s Place. We frequently gather outside of our lodge building as well! The Tuscan 195 hosts, whiskey and wine tastings, pub nights, BBQs, golf tournaments and trivia nights throughout the year. With our lodge we hope to see you grow as a man and succeed in your journey as a Mason.
The first meeting of The Tuscan 195 was held in the Masonic Hall on December 23, 1867 in the Albion Block. A large 3 storey building on the NW corner of Richmond and Carling (Present Day Shoppers Drug Mart).
The First W.M. of The Tuscan 195 was Captain Thompson Wilson, A well-known Freemason in the London District (Canada West). He was the 2nd D.D.G.M in 1857 and the forth in 1859.
In the early years The Tuscan 195 “hung their Charter” in a few places around downtown London, starting at the Albion Block. Them moved across the street to 442 Richmond St. (The Poacher’s Arms), to the NW corner of Richmond & King (Royal Bank), back to 442 Richmond after the 1900 fire, to Queens and Wellington (Canada Life), and finally to our present location on Dufferin Ave.
Why are we “The” Tuscan 195?
All Lodges are issued a Charter (an official document that indicates your Lodge name and number). Charters are given out by our Grand Lodge and are to contain the Lodge name and number only. Well someone back in 1867 goofed and place “The” in front of Tuscan 195. Much like today’s Tuscans, our brethren back in 1867 probably never took themselves too seriously and ran with the name “The Tuscan 195”.
The original charter was lost in the 1900 fire and when Grand Lodge issued a new charter, “The” was removed. But because we are who we are and as a nod to our forefathers we still call ourselves The Tuscan 195.
The Tuscan Lodge has a very active membership, typically meeting once per month for business and more frequently for casual get-togethers. Our membership comprises of many business professionals, entrepreneurs, and government employees to name a few. Our youngest Masons are in their 20’s and we are honoured to have some brethren approaching triple digits.
Interested in becoming a Mason?
We continue to seek men looking to better themselves and join a supportive community and who have the commitment to attend our gatherings on a regular basis. If you are thinking about joining a lodge, reach out to The Tuscan at [email protected] or on Facebook so we can have a chat and see if Masonry is right for you.
Amalgamation with St. Paul’s 107
On February 5th, 2024. St. Paul’s 107 & The Tuscan 195 amalgamated under the name The Tuscan 195.
In the year 1858 a body of 9 Master Masons formed the nucleus of Charter Members which organized the beginning of a Masonic Lodge in the Village of Lambeth, familiarly known at the time as “Slab Town”. At the regular meeting of Grand Lodge, held in the city of Kingston in the year 1858, M. W. Bro. Wm. Mercer Wilson, Grand Master, requested the names of the Lodges working under dispensation to be read. Sixteen Lodges thus working were recorded. St. Paul’s thus received its Warrant or Charter denominated No. 107 dated July 29, 1858. The Installation of Officers was held on August 4, 1858. R.W. Bro. James Moffat, D.D.G.M., London District was the Installing Master. By the end of the first year five Brothers became Members of St. Paul’s by initiation and one by affiliation, bringing the total membership to sixteen. The first meeting place of St. Paul’s was in the gable of an old brick hotel, which stood where the Lambeth Branch of the Royal Bank is now situated.
Sometime later the Lodge rooms were moved to a building on the property immediately south of the cemetery. In 1878 a movement was started to acquire a permanent location for the Lodge quarters. A building committee of five Brethren was comprised and given authority to have a building completed before June 1879. On July 2, 1879, the committee reported their obligation completed. The builder of the Lodge Hall was Bro. Robert Summers.
The Lodge Hall, which remained our Lodge home until 1965, was dedicated and consecrated July 30, 1879. The former Masonic Hall by the Royal Bank on South Talbot Rd served many purposes. The second floor was reserved for Masonic Work, but the main floor was at one time the Lambeth Continuation School ( Grades 9-12). It served as the Community Centre, home to the Boy Scouts, and finally became the Lambeth Post Office. When St. Paul’s No. 107 finally decided to build a new home, the hall was purchased by the Post Office.
The present Lodge Building was built in 1964-65, and was dedicated in 1965 by Rt.W. Bro. Wesley Botham, D.D.G.M. London West District that year and M.W. Bro. J.A. Irvine, who was the Immediate Past Grand Master in 1965. The building was also the home of St. Paul’s Chapter No. 242 R.A.M., Grand Chapter of Canada in the Province of Ontario. In 1991, Delaware Valley Lodge No. 358 sold their building in Delaware and and moved into the Lambeth Masonic Hall.
Delaware Valley surrendered their charter in 2015. Acacia Lodge No. 580 amalgamated with St. Paul’s No. 107 on Oct. 11, 2006 and their history is elsewhere on this website. Since their inception, St. Paul’s Lodge has been favoured with five District Deputy Grand Masters.